Neath Port Talbot
Investment in Schools
Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council initially commissioned CPC to assist in the development of the 10-year Strategic Outline Programme (SOP) for Education.
Due to the success of the SOP, and the strong working relationship with the Council, CPC were further commissioned to develop an Outline Business Case for a new 3-16 ‘super school’ in the Port Talbot area. Our team were appointed to deliver a series of business cases to support the Council’s Strategic Outline Programme (SOP) to improve schools in the area over a 10-year period.
Our responsibilities included:
• Prioritising educational ‘projects’, using an option appraisal approach;
• Engage with operational, policy and teaching staff to ensure that the SOP was the best strategic fit for the Council – including views on school closures and new school developments;
• Provide fully compliant ‘5 case’ business cases, for submission to Welsh Government, based on a new all-through school to replace three existing secondary schools in the Port Talbot area.
We delivered a fully developed and articulated programme, which focussed on improving education for children and not just school repairs. We also provided confidence in the levels of revenue savings that underpinned the proposed development (with the closure of three existing schools), and a comprehensive change plan.
- Project Management
- Strategic Outline Case (SOC)
- Outline Business Case (OBC)
- Full Business Case (FBC)
- HM Treasury 5-case compliance
- Change Management
We developed a Full Business Case (FBC) which was submitted to the Welsh Government for review, and gained approval for £20M funding for a new ‘superschool’ in the Baglan area.