Senior System Engineer (Rail) – London
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Systems Engineer.
Big Data: what is it? On the London Underground, modern signalling systems can produce 5GB of data per day. If 5GB represented text, it would produce over 3.5m A4 pages and if it were to be printed on 80g/m2 paper (double sided), it would weigh nearly 18 tonnes, yet it can be held on the tip of a finger on a micro SD card! At CPC Systems our systems engineers take analysis of the daily 5GB of data in their stride. They also use the daily data that has been accumulated over the last 10 years of operation of the modern signalling system. But it’s not good just being able to analyse data; a modern railway systems engineer needs to understand where the data sets have come from and their limitations, how it might be used and how railway systems work in order confidently to turn the analysis into insight CPC Systems was founded on the premise that data plus analysis leads to information which, in turn, leads to knowledge. We dramatically reduced the number of failures on train mounted signalling systems and we have gradually extended our capability to system design, new rolling stock introduction, operations advisory and technical project management. When someone hires a CPC Systems person, they are almost hiring the whole team as we bring our collective knowledge together though Skype and other communication systems to discuss and help to solve each other’s problems.
Ideal skills and experience:
- Being an engineer with a system engineering mind-set,
- Comfortable with coding and quickly understand the systems being dealt with,
- MEng in Electrical & Electronic engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and or equivalent qualifications,
- Rail sector experience is beneficial but not a requirement,
- Excellent communiction skills – both written and verbal,
- Willingness to learn and be a team player,
- Client focussed mind-set.